Sunday, April 20, 2008

More Catch-Up

Intramural Basketball = Stitches for Rand
Now I just want to note that the first ER trip in our marriage was for Rand...not for me! Wonder of wonders, miracle of miracles!

Rand had an intramural basketball game and it was a little intense! He took an elbow to the nose (the foul was called on him too) which caused immediate bleeding, a delay in the game as they cleaned it all up, a band-aid for Rand (who continued to play) and a win for the DubVC (their team name). After the game we took a look at it and decided it was going to need stitches. So after about an hour and a half at the ER, we came home at about midnight with less money in our bank account and 3 stitches in Rand's nose!





He also got a nice 'shiner' from it as well!


March Madness

If you read the post about Rand attending the World Series and you were jealous...then skip this next one! Rand, again the recipient of a kind brother, was able to attend the first day of the NCAA basketball championships in Denver. He spent all day that first Thursday watching four games from about the fourth row. Jason was there to cover the games for the WAC and Rand was invited to join him (which he ofcourse did not pass up). All throughout the day I would receive a text from Rand here and there asking if I 'could see him'. It's kind of hard to see him from my cubicle at work where there is no TV! I did try to spot him later that night (for the few minutes I was able to watch due to some church meetings), but was never able to see him. Sad. But he had a great time and loved spending time with Jason and Marisa as well.



DanceSport Competition
My job comes with a few perks from time to time. Because I work with a lot of the different dance directors and instructors at BYU, they are at times very generous with me. I was given a pass to the DanceSport competition this last March. This is the National championships held each year in the Marriott Center on campus and peole come from all over to compete. As well, all the different dance classes at BYU, the students compete as well. My cousin Trent is in a couple of classes, and so I was able to see him compete. He did great and it was so fun to watch him compete. I was able to see other friends as well during the competition, as well as all the BYU Youth teams that I help behind the scenes with throughout the year. They all did so well!

I know it must seem so unfair to all those people who love dance that this girl who never grew up dancing a day in her life (unless you count stake roadshows...which you shouldn't) gets to enjoy these things. I think it really was just all of my dad's prayers my whole life: this was the closest Heavenly Father could get me to being a dancer for my dad!



Trent and I watching the competition!



Trent and his partner performing the Waltz.



Uncle Ed
Rand's great-uncle Ed passed away in March (Rand's grandpa's brother). He lived here in Provo and we got the chance a couple of times while we were dating to go and visit him. He had the cutest little voice (caused by a surgical procedure), but it was really cute and fun to listen to. Uncle Ed had written the words to the hymn "Our Saviors Love". Rand had promised him that he would stop by and sing for him in spanish that hymn, and I'm really glad that he was able to do that before he passed away. He was a really bright and driven person; competed in track in college and was a Rhodes Scholar. He taught at BYU for years. His service was really nice. I noticed a poem on the back of the program that I likes...and found out that he had written:


The Gentle Way

He left to other men the path
To wealth, that turns to clay;
He left to others hate and wrath,
And sought the gentle way.


Though life was filled with joy and pain
And threatening decay,
He never challenged God's design,
But chose the gentle way.


Temptations offered subtle cures
For ills, and time to pay;
He stripped the mask off ugly lures,
And kept the gentle way.


He earned the sweetest word known - peace,
Striving day by day
To live to the last breath's release
In love, the gentle way.

I like this poem...I think it's really easy to do things the way the world does them. It's easy to loose our temper, point a finger, lack in patience, etc, etc; but the measure of a man (person) is truly shown when they seek, choose and keep 'the gentle way' (being Christ-like).


Uncle Ed Hart (center: with 2 of his siblings)

1 comment:

SHELLY said...

Rand getting stiches.....can't wait to see the medics coming to take you away after the triatholon.........
kidding.....
Shelly