We were able to attend the Sunday morning session of General Conference this year with my Dad and brother, Kevin. I love attending conference and I try not to take for granted the fact that we usually get to attend one meeting each session of conference when there are a lot of people who would love to go and never get the chance. It's neat to be in the conference center with all the leaders of the church. I, like my dad, love to just watch all the general authorities come in and converse with each other. This year my dad brought some small binocular's (camouflage color) so he could look for his mission president and other general authorities before the session started. He told us that we didn't need to be embarrassed because the binocular's are camouflage and noone could see them. To this Rand responded that he still looked pretty funny just holding his hands up to his eyes! It was at this point that we dubbed my dad the 'conference groupie'...but really, that's a good thing! He loves attending general conference and loves to be so close to all the leaders of the church (and especially to his mission president, Elder John Madsen, of the First Quorum of the Seventy) and that's something that I really admire about him. So really, 'conference groupie' is a good thing.
This session of conference was obviously a really neat one seeing as how it was a solemn assembly in which we were able to sustain a new prophet of God, President Monson, as well as a new First Presidency and a new apostle. As well, Rand's mission president was called to the First Quorum of the Seventy, Elder Lawrence Corbridge, and he was really excited to hear that.
I also love hearing all the words that are shared. I went back and read some of the talks from the priesthood session (since I wasn't at that, obviously) and I loved Elder Uchtdorf's talk, "A Matter of a Few Degrees". I loved how he talked about the disasters that can happen just from one small incorrect decision...and it is so true. What I loved even more though, is when he talked about how we can correct those wrongs, no matter how far off course we have gone, and get back on the right path through repentance and making correct decisions. I'm sure that most all of us, at some point in our lives, feels like we've made a stupid decision (or series of decisions) and can let that get us down or feel we have failed. I love hearing such wonderful messages of hope! Of knowing that nobody is beyond help from the Savior and His atonement. Much like was once shared by Elder Bednar in one of his first talks as a general authority, the atonement is there to better us...it can make bad people good and good people better. It's not just there to help us overcome our sins and mistakes, but it's also there to give us the enabling power to be better and to do things that perhaps we just don't think we can do. And that's awesome!

My Free Time
Well, since Rand and I got married these two things have taken up most of my free-time...which is okay, I'm wierd and I really like them both! Rand is so busy with school and he helps me when he's able to (which I really do appreciate because he really is swamped with his studies!) But we decided to do some major cleaning of the apartment and it has been a long process. First we had to get organized (because I'm OCD like that and I need 'a place for everything and everything in it's place). Once things were pretty much together that way, I started the 'deep cleaning'. We've been scrubbing walls, doors, baseboards, behind the fridge and oven, cupboards, blinds (these are a pain), and more. I discovered this new cleaning tool: the sonic scrub brush. It is a miracle worker for the baseboards and the details in the doors! I love it! It's taking so long because by the time I get home from work, have dinner with Rand and get ready for the next day...cleaning is the last thing I want to do. And Saturdays have piled up with numerous things as well so that I only get a couple hours in here and there. I can't wait for it all to be done!!!
Cooking: this is the other thing I have spent lots of time doing. I noticed that my sister-in-law would have some frozen dinners she had pre-made in the freezer at their house. I thought this would be a good idea for Rand and I. I'm so busy during the day and coming home and making a big dinner just isn't feasible most days for me (especially as we start training for our triathlons this summer). So, I've started taking a couple of days out of the month where I make a few big meals that freeze and re-heat well (chicken and rice, stir-fry, pasta dishes, crock pot recipes, soups, chili, etc) and then break them down into tupperware containers. They pretty much fill our freezer up...but it's easy for us to just get up in the morning, grab one and go. Not to mention that Rand tends to eat at least two dinners at night, so he can just grab them out of the freezer (cause I am not making two dinners!) Even though it takes a little planning and a few hours to prepare at one time...it saves SO much time in the long run! And this summer, with my busy work schedule and Rand's increased appetite from getting back to working out...this is the easiest solution!


No comments:
Post a Comment