For the past few years Rand has been playing ultimate with some of his old roommates and they have always had a pretty good team. This year they got the t-shirt in their division. I'm not sure if I should credit them more for this, or their fans (wives and relatives) who had to sit out in the freezing cold as they pursued the t-shirt! :o) It was a lot of fun to watch!
The Champions!

Left: Rand, Ryan (the Giant) and Ben. Right: This was at half time as they walked off the field, kind of a cool picture.
Cowgirls Football
Anyone who has been around me the last few years knows that my favorite intramural sport to play is football (though I do love softball in the spring/summer as well!) But I've been playing football for the last, I think, 6 years. Some friends of mine and I put a team together back in the Fall of 2002 because two of our guy friends wanted to coach a team. We were hardcore: we practiced twice a week and just loved it! Vince was the defensive coordinator and Eric the offensive. We had a book of plays and Eric would signal them in from the sideline. It was beautiful. At the time, we were the only girls team doing anything like this. We even made it into the school newspaper as one of the 'top 10 most ridiculous things about intramural sports'! Our name is the Cowgirls (Vince and Eric are huge Cowboys fans (sick, I know) and they won the team name decision. But I refused to have our shirts be blue...so we went with 49er red to offset the 'Cowboy-ish' name.) Now there are a number of teams out there with coaches and playbooks...they learned from the best!
Well, the team has changed alot over the years. I am actually the only original cowgirl left. Everyone else has moved away or doesn't have an affiliation with BYU anymore to be able to play. It's still a blast and I have loved playing with everyone who's ever been on the team. Sadly enough, we've never gotten the t-shirt. I think in the past 6 years, we've gotten 2nd 4 times, and 3rd twice. Ugh! And every 2nd place finish was to the BYU Track team! Two of those years they had olympic athletes on the team. That's no excuse...they are beatable, in fact, we have beat them in regular season. But they always pull it off in tourney! They are definitely fun to play though. And over the years, we've created some good rivals with a few teams and it's always fun to play them each year (as well as in other sports).
As much as I have my complaints with some of the things in the intramural system, I really am glad they have it here because I have met some of my best friends through these teams and with how busy we all get, these games are some of the only times we still get to see each other!
(we switched to green shirts the last three seasons because too many teams were wearing red shirts and it got confusing on the field. We even had the track team one year purposely have only one girl wear a red shirt to try to get us to throw the ball to her! But we are far too smart and competetive for that and we had a back up plan for it: bright orange hunting beanies! haha)
This game was SO cold! I would keep hand warmers in my pocket to warm my fingers up between plays for games like this (a must, especially as the QB)!

Cowgirls 2005

Cowgirls 2005
*Sadly, I don't have any pictures from the years 2003 or 2004! I wish I did...sorry to Cam and Lisa and everyone else from the team those years!
We are just missing Strat, who was our 'team mom'. She wore a 'cowgirl' hat to the games and brought oranges for half-time, haha. And she brought two candy bars to each game. At the end, Vince would give one to the defensive player of the game, and Eric would give one to the offensive player of the game. Just a little throwback to the city little league days!Below: My first 3 years playing I was a wide-receiver. The pic on the left is me lined up on the line ready to go. The pic on the right is right after we lost the game (2nd place finish, of course)...this is my 'defeated' look.








No comments:
Post a Comment