Okay, so this is a post with a lot of pictures!
I thought that this time I would show some of the 'process' in making the cakes.
I thought that this time I would show some of the 'process' in making the cakes.
This first one I is probably my best cake I have made yet! It turned out WAY better than I imagined it would when I first started considering the design. When my friend asked me to do this cake, I began googling pictures of ladybug cakes. After seeing a few of them, I created my own way of making it and I was really happy with the final product!

My old roommate Lori asked me to help do a ladybug cake for her daughters 1st birthday (because they call her ladybug). Originally I was going to 'help' her...but with her busy schedule right before her husbands graduation (family in town, too), not to mention having a one year old; and the fact that doing this cake was a 2-day process of baking cakes and then doing the frosting...I kind of ended up doing it on my own. Lori did come over for a bit one night and helped dye the frosting, as well as provided wonderful conversation (we haven't talked in forever!)
First I baked all the cakes and then trimmed them so they would all fit together!
I pieced the german chocolate body pieces together with a fresh raspberry middle.
(Sorry the picture is turned! Not sure why it did that...it's the right way in my file.)

I also baked the 'grass' piece and then split it in the middle for a chocolate pudding filling.
Once they were all pieced together, I frosted the grass piece with a thin layer of buttercream frosting. I also frosted the bug with a thin layer of chocolate buttercream frosting and drew the line for the wing design. Then I placed the bug on the grass.After that, I took some of the original thick frosting and rolled it flat and cut the eye pieces out.

Then I finished up with the actual 'grass', added some flowers, finished the eyes and inserted some edible black licorice antennaes.

Then I finished up with the actual 'grass', added some flowers, finished the eyes and inserted some edible black licorice antennaes.
I'm glad Addie enjoyed it!
I LOVED making this cake!
It was one of those cakes that when you are done,
the HOURS you put into it seemed worth it!
Thanks for the opportunity to make it Lori (and Addie, too!)
(here's a nice shot of all the layers!)
Here is just a quick picture of the about 90 cupcakes I made for when I taught Relief Society
I LOVED making this cake!It was one of those cakes that when you are done,
the HOURS you put into it seemed worth it!
Thanks for the opportunity to make it Lori (and Addie, too!)
(here's a nice shot of all the layers!)Here is just a quick picture of the about 90 cupcakes I made for when I taught Relief Society
Easter Sunday. I thought I'd add in a little 'spring' treat with flowers, etc.
Unfortunately it did not stop the snow that still came after that!
My friend Amy has a 3-D cake pan of an Easter bunny that she bought last year.
Since I had cake decorating stuff, we thought we'd give it a try!
Here we are trimming and piecing the halves together...very important. :o)
Here we are trimming and piecing the halves together...very important. :o)














15 comments:
Honestly, Chels, those cakes are amazing. The ladybug was jawdropping. You've got a real talent there (since, you know, you needed yet more talent:))
Chelsy- you are amazing! I LOVE the ladybug cake!!!
We loved the ladybug cake SOOO much. I can't even tell you the amount of compliments that cake received. It was a work of birthday art! I really appreciated you putting so much time into making it.
Your bunny turned out great too! Love love it.
I think I'll find myself a man and get myself hitched just so I can solicit you to make a wedding cake! he he he.
So.... I think you should put on some pictures on display at grocery stores or the like, and get paid bucko bucks for your awesome work!... cause that's what I'd pay for a wedding cake... or a man!
Time for me to find myself some skills...I will need them when Im staying home with baby
GENIOUS CHESLY!!! SO GREAT!!! PS. I HOPE HTAT BUNNY WAS A MOLD
chels those cakes are so darling! i want to take a cake decorating class from you!
How fun!! You guys need to invite me these little parties. Great looking cakes!
I want a video tutorial...no I DEMAND a video tutorial. You have too much talent in you =). I am glad that it is used for good though LOL!!!! My mom just told me about your mom, I didn't KNOW anything was going on. I guess my mom is going in to get tested soon. She really loves your momma to pieces!!! =) I think she's pretty cool too!!!!! Also, I don't like that my twin is skinnier than me. It makes me look bad, so.....stop it will ya? Eat some cake for crying out loud!!!!!!
I LOVE the lady bug cake, great job! That really is so cute, and very detailed. I wish I would have brought my scrap book stuff cuz I don't do anything! The days are pretty long here so far with no car and the nearest anything is two miles away and over a freeway so I'm not brave enough to walk with Brinklee in that thick of traffic. Oh well, it's beautiful though and it's been fun so far, a nice change.
I showed David your cake and he thought it was amazing! Well, we both do! Maybe you could help me out with a cute cake for Levi's first birthday. :)
I'll be out to Utah in June to visit with Emerald!!! We need to hang out!
are you kidding me??? When did this hidden talent emerge? Is there anything you can't do? Dang girl...you got some sweet skills!
I agree with this Jen chic...you need to do videos when you make the cakes. I would like your recipe for the cake and frosting. Are they good? Is it awfully sad to cut the cake? Seeing that bunny head is kind of sad in a pathetic kind of way.
Wow. I am incredibly impressed, Chelsy. What a great, fun hobby! Hope everything else is going well!!
I love your cakes! These are great-- so creative...and so patient. I would have made the cakes (just the cake - not the fancy frosting) and called it a day!
Post a Comment