Thursday, April 2, 2009

More Cakes...

Here are a few more of the cakes I've done in the last few weeks:

Our nephew had his baby blessing on the 15th of March and my mother-in-law asked me to make a cake for it. I couldn't bring myself to do some cutesy baby boy cake and so I was trying to come up with something more creative. His name is Nash (J. Nash to be exact). I thought it would be fitting to make a camoflauge cake with his name in it like 'M*A*S*H'. It's a little hard to see the lettering next to the light tan color (an unforseen problem until it was too late)...
but now I know (and knowing is half the battle...GO JOE!)
I also wanted a good excuse to try a baseball cake. And since Rand and his brother LOVE sports and especially baseball, I thought I'd go ahead and make two cakes for the occasion.


We had a ward Relief Society birthday celebration enrichment last week. I said I'd make a cake (another excuse to practice) and I really didn't know what I was signing up for. I'm sure a simple, single layer cake with brown frosting on top would have been fine. But I thought I'd try to make it more 'fun'. And again, I started the piecing together and frosting of the cake WAY too late (the cake arrived 30 minutes after the start time.) I kind of had to rush the frosting part of it all (hence the blue isn't really the correct navy color of the RS Seal, and the gold looks a little more orange that it should.) I would have liked to have had everything a little more 'clean' looking, but oh well. Next time, right!

This cake was 12" round (first time making it that big) and had three split levels (it was two 12" cakes, each cut in half.) The cake was chocolate, the top and bottom filling layers had real raspberries and the middle layer had chocolate pudding.
Oh...and sorry Candace, but it was just a box mix for the cake!
(Time is money and the box mix was cheaper! Maybe someday I'll be more domestic!)


A girl in my ward was throwing a birthday party for her husband. At first I didn't think Rand and I would be able to go and offered to make a cake for it in our absence (equal trade, right?!)
Well, her hubby is a carpenter. I knew that with my limited skills I would have a hard time recreating the look of wood (I didn't have tons of time to practice or research it)...so I settled on something that was seeminly a little easier; a tool box.

Again I didn't plan my time well and the frosting part of it all took so much longer (especially using fondant for my first time ever!) I really wish I would have started this the day before because it could have turned out SO much better. But I was running
so late and had to super simplify thing
(and I didn't get the frosting as smooth as I wanted it.
The perfectionist in me is so bugged!)

And just for fun:
On St. Patrick's Day I took some plain cupcakes into my work, along with all my decorating tips and bags, and we had a cupcake decorating party. Here is a lot of what we came up with
(we will definitely be keeping our day jobs!)

Sadly the cupcake that our student accountant made was eaten before taking this picture.
He created a nice T-account form atop the cupcake!
Oh, and I also make some fun chocolate and vanilla treats the night before to bring in.


17 comments:

Lindsay said...

Oh my gosh! FOr real, who ARE you? You play sports, make cakes, spiritual goddess, good at ANYTHING you touch!! WIll you pass some of that on to me please? I need a little...

For real, Chels, that is awesome...AND inspiring. Maybe once baby comes I can start being more crafty, spiritual, sporty, etc! :). You go girl!

Candace said...

It totally didn't look like a box cake...that's why I was asking. Your cakes are amazing!

Unknown said...

OH MY GOODNESS Chelsy are you kidding me?!?! You need to start your own business! I design your logo and website and packaging and everything! You just bake the cakes! :-)

SHELLY said...

I'm so darn jealous at how great your cakes are! And mad too that I'm not around to eat any!
Now you absolutely have to do wedding cakes for all three kids!

Call Commotion said...

Those are amazing! :) Where in the heck did you learn how to do that? I really need lessons!

Rachel said...

Wow, you go from "I took a cake decorating class" one minute, to "I could start a cake making business" the next! Seriously talk up Aarean's advice! Those are amazing - what a fun talent to have!!!

cameron said...

YOU ARE AWESOME!!!

Tracy and Odie said...

holy cow you are amazing chels! seriously those look amazing. how did you make those shamrock looking pops? do tell!

Chelsy said...

Tracy...the shamrock suckers, as well as the green chocolate 'cups', are both molds that I bought at the craft store (they are about $2 each, or something like that). Each mold makes about 6. Then just melt the chocolate and poor!

Heidi said...

Man why don't I work with you anymore those treats look delish!! Packing stuff the other day came across the infamous quote board. Laughed til I almost cried and missed you lots!

LaPointe Photo Images said...

So fun! I started learning cake decorating right before Izzy was born from my mother in law! She's made cakes for years, in fact she made our wedding cake. I just wish I had had more time to practice techniques before she was born. Be glad you're getting in all this practice time before you have kids cuz your free time will disappear!!! I just recently started practicing again. We should open up a shop together!!!! That would be so fun!

Unknown said...

Wow, awesome job!! That toolbox cake is amazing. I love working with fondant, it is really forgiving. You should start a blog just for your little masterpieces!

Mandy and Brian said...

Chelsy, I'm definitely jealous of your skills...those cakes are amazing (if you haven't heard that enough from everyone else!) I bumped into Rand the other day on campus, it was good to see him. I'm glad I still see you guys sometimes! Oh, and blog stalking is funny...Annie and my sister Allison were roomates at Rick's! Small world.

Ash said...

YOur cakes are AMAZING!!! To say the least! I will never be that good at anything. True story!

colin and brooke thompson said...

little miss talent! I forgot how much I loved your handwriting! I could never do that! I'd get really large!!!! (eating too much)

Jen said...

Um, I second Linds....who ARE you???? How did you do all of that? You need to start doing video tutorials or somethin...help some sisters out!!!!

Michelle said...

Well, hello, little Miss Talented at every end of the spectrum! Color me super impressed! I will not let my kids see this - they won't think their b-day cakes are nearly as cool!!! Ü