Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Twilight Movie Review


Okay, since I had posted earlier about reading the books and going to see the movie, I thought I'd give my quick (but wordy) review.

First off, the most interesting thing about the experience was by far the 'waiting in line' part. A friend of mine gave me a ride over to the movie theatre so I could wait in line to get a decent seat (did not want the front row! No matter what movie it is, sitting in the front row is miserable.) Rand had to work until 30 minutes before start time and we knew that would equal the front row. Thank you Janae for the ride!

When I arrived they let me straight through to go get in line. I sat down next to a big group of women (9 to be exact) who were SO giddy. They were taking pictures, sharing what they found to be 'cute' in store catalogues, and having some conversations that I wouldn't be caught dead having with anyone but my husband (let alone with a friend in a HUGE public line). I had a book with me to read, but it was just too fun (and almost impossible to not hear) the conversations by me. Oh, and these women were trying to save TEN additional seats for some friends. Out of control. I think my favorite thing of the night though was this:
Seriously?


As I read my book I slowly and inconspicuously took this picture (hence no flash) with the sole purpose of posting it here! And yes, I saw one person getting them after their showing.
But hey, to each their own.


As the group before us left, I saw SO many twilight t-shirts. But I have to say, this one that I came across while checking out a friends blog was by far the best, made me laugh (she made it).
Clarification for all who need it...Edward Cullen is a fictional character! :o)
With all that said, over-all, I liked the movie. I think I need to see it again (from Redbox) so I can enjoy it more without all the criticism I gave it while watching the first time. I knew that they couldn't possibly put the entire book into the movie, and it was sad to see that what was cut was the relationship build-up of Edward and Bella. I was visibly annoyed for the whole first half of the movie. Some stuff was INCREDIBLY cheesy, but you get past it. But what really bothered me more than anything was the first kiss scene. Totally turned 'hollywood lust' and I'm a little disappointed that Stephanie Meyers didn't put her foot down on that one and have Bella in some actual sweatpants. Also, when Edward tells Bella what everyone in the restaurant is thinking...that's not in the book and another stupid 'hollywood' add-in that was so unnecessary and not appropriate. Those things bugged me more than anything. I just don't understand why the author of the book and story itself didn't take a stand on it to keep it cleaner when that's what she herself believes in. Considering how the third and fourth book gets more into that realm of things (as they get closer to marriage), I'd hate to see what gets changed in those movies (assuming they get made). So sad! What is this world coming to?


As far as the acting, I think they did a pretty good job with casting. I think Edward and Bella were good and people need to get over who they cast as Edward. I think Robert Pattinson did a great job with a hard character. I was most impressed with the spot-on casting of Alice and Emmett (as well as the casting they made for Laurent). But I have to say, I think the best acting was done between Kristen Stewart (Bella) and Billy Burke (Charlie). They totally captured what the book portrayed about them and their relationship.
And what was the most entertaining about the movie itself...the audience. The 'oohs' and 'ahhs' were halarious. Especially the first time you see: Jacob, each of the vampires walk in at lunch, especially Edward, and Carlisle. Rand and I just looked at each other with a look of 'seriously?' on our faces. And I swear that at the end of the movie, the girl sitting next to me was on the verge of tears! haha!


What I wouldn't give to watch this movie with a few of my old co-workers (Ryan or Corwin). I can hear Corwin now, just laughing his head off at the reactions of all the crazed women. And I can see Ryan rolling his eyes and mentally mocking the ridiculousness of it all (until he'd get into the office the next day...then he'd go to town vocally on the craziness.)


Okay, this is far too long. It's just that the whole experience was hilarious. It definitely made the movie watching experience a little more entertaining though. And it's always kind of fun to see a book you know come to life (though I have yet to see a movie that does the book justice.)
I can understand why women everywhere love the books. Edward, Carlisle (and even Jacob) are the classic chivalry filled guys. They are modern versions of Mr. Darcy, Mr. Knightly, Edward Ferrars, etc. Chivalry will never go out of style and this movie/books are a classic example of that.


I enjoyed it. But I'd first take a love story from books and movies such as Pride & Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility, and Emma any day! Where do you think Stephanie Meyers got the idea for the name of Edward in the first place! :o)

1 comment:

Sherrie said...

Hey! So I went and saw it at a Thursday night/midnight showing with some of my friends. Some of us (them) were a little more ga-ga with it all then I was.
Anyway, overall I thought it was fun, but I thought the people making the movie took themselves a little too seriously. I was laughing at parts that I know I wasn't supposed to be...is that bad?")
Also, I know this has to do with it being a 2-hour movie, but I agree with you. It seemed that whole build-up/relationship, etc. took like a week.
Monday- "Hi, I'm Bella."
Friday- "I LOVE you! Oh, and would you mind saving me from the vampire that's attacking me in Arizona?