It's true, I gave in and did something I was refusing to do! It had been such a big craze and I saw so many people (mainly girls. Excuse me, I mean GROWN WOMEN) acting ridiculous over it. I thought it was out of control, so I wouldn't let myself go near it. I knew people who loved them and were totally normal about it too, but I couldn't get past the out of control ones. There are SO many things relating to them that are TAKING OVER people's blogs (and lives)! My mother-in-law bought me the first one, and I put it off for over a year before caving.
After deciding to discontinue with the MBA program, I had more time. I didn't want to waste my life away in TV (I can easily do this)...so I decided to get back to reading all the books I have sitting on my shelf (no matter the book, it ALWAYS sounds better when someone asks what you did that day and you say, "I read" as opposed to, "I watched TV"). I seem to have books I like to read over and over again (like To Kill a Mockingbird or The Screwtape Letters), but I also have my series books that I really liked (Harry Potter and The Chronicles of Narnia), and then I have a lot of books I want to read, but just can't seem to get started on. So I thought I'd grab one of those and give it a try. With that, I thought I'd better read the one my mother-in-law gave me so I could say I read it and not offend her! haha. (Sorry Susan) Well, the joke was on me...I loved it and it totally drew me in and had me wanting to read more (to get to the end and see how it all played out, I can't stand not knowing how something ends). And read more, I did. I bought the rest of the set and had them all read in less than two weeks (remember I work 8 hours a day).
What were the books? It was none other than:
After deciding to discontinue with the MBA program, I had more time. I didn't want to waste my life away in TV (I can easily do this)...so I decided to get back to reading all the books I have sitting on my shelf (no matter the book, it ALWAYS sounds better when someone asks what you did that day and you say, "I read" as opposed to, "I watched TV"). I seem to have books I like to read over and over again (like To Kill a Mockingbird or The Screwtape Letters), but I also have my series books that I really liked (Harry Potter and The Chronicles of Narnia), and then I have a lot of books I want to read, but just can't seem to get started on. So I thought I'd grab one of those and give it a try. With that, I thought I'd better read the one my mother-in-law gave me so I could say I read it and not offend her! haha. (Sorry Susan) Well, the joke was on me...I loved it and it totally drew me in and had me wanting to read more (to get to the end and see how it all played out, I can't stand not knowing how something ends). And read more, I did. I bought the rest of the set and had them all read in less than two weeks (remember I work 8 hours a day).
What were the books? It was none other than:
I still refuse to be the giddy, crazy person who is nuts about the books and movie. I enjoyed them, they were entertaining (not life changing, by any means).
Too many people out there seem to be CRAZY over them, one might say 'obsessed'. I'm pretty sure I could see one of the actors/actresses on the street and not say a word to them and my life would continue on just fine. I'm well aware these characters are fictional (I seriously wonder if some people know this!)
But if want an entertaining and easy read, these are good. If you can get over the constant infatuation talk and drudgery of it (especially in the 4th book, which definitely was the slowest one for me), pick them up.
I was entertained. Enough that Rand and I have our tickets (what a great husband he is to go with me) to go see it. We'll see how the movie matches up. I'm always facinated to see how they put some 500+ pages of writing into a two hour movie.




5 comments:
I was the same way. I refused to read them. I don't know why after a long time of hearing everyone tell me how good they are my sister-n-law convinced me to read at least the 1st one so I could go to the movie with her. I did and read the rest of them in 2 weeks. I enjoyed them and the movie follows it pretty close. I was just okay with it. You will have to see what you think. Rand is so good to go with you. My hubby wouldnt be caught dead at the movie.
I caved too, after everyone had already read all of them I started the first book and really did get hooked. What I love is that they are such an easy read and sort of, for me at least remind me of all the firsts (love). It's kind of nice to be silly about something like this when I have so much responsibility now. Yay letting loose and beeing silly sometimes! Although I agree... I have seen and know some people who really are OBSESSED! Yikes.
I REFUSE!!!!! I READ 123 AND WON'T READ FOURTH... YES I WAS HOOKED AND HAD TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENED... BUT TOTALLY INAPPROPRIATE FOR THE TARGETED AUDIENCE... OOOO I COULD GET ON MY SOAP BOX
Hahaha, oh the craze! I read them as well because everyone told me how wonderful they were. I have my own opinions about them, certainly not all favorable, but it is an entertaining story.
P.S. It was great (and random) to see you at redbox the other night...I hope you found something to keep you company while Rand was away :)
Cam...I agree with you on the 'appropriateness' factor. I can't help but wonder if that was her originally intended audience though, or if its the way the publishers pushed it. Who knows. Even I got uncomfortable while reading the end of the third and beginning of the fourth book. I was happy to see the marriage-first part, but still...too much information (even if it was all thoughts and not 'action' graphic.)
I'm FAR too conservative on that front (even some of my cousins and friends give me crud for it). That was my issue with 'The Notebook' as well.
I think what I like about these books IS the chivalry and 'old-fashionedness' (aka: modesty) of Edward. They even bring in the fact of 'keeping the commandments' on this issue. I like the 'control' that he displays in all the books (even if Bella pushes it). I like that it implies that even with temptations, you can overcome them and control them and not let them control you when you have the best goals in mind. In the world today, it's so important that we and our kids understand this. The world teaches you that you can't help your feelings and thoughts and should just follow them. We need to reimforce that you do have a personal choice, you do have the ability to control it all.
Anyway...that's what intrigued me more than anything about these books (more than the sappy love story, I'm a sucker for romantic comedies, etc.) I read the released chapters of 'Midnight Sun' which is the first book from Edwards perspective and I enjoyed that even more for the way it shows his internal struggle to do what is right and fight off his natural urges (you know, to kill her).
But again, yeah...married or not, a little TMI for my liking.
Post a Comment