Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Ellie's Birthday

My niece, Ellie, had her birthday a few weeks ago. Because her birthday is so close to two of her cousins (Sam and Ben), they had a combined family get together. I sometimes feel like an extended member of their family (my sister-in-laws family) because I've occasionally join in on the 'combined' family get-togethers like this one over the years.

In order to practice my cake making skills I volunteered to make two cakes for them.
Ellie wanted me to recreate my pink and purple flower cake for her (it was yellow cake with chocolate pudding in the middle). Then I also tried out a soccer ball cake for the boys that was chocolate cake with chocolate (black) and buttercream (white) frosting on top. Because the ball cake is so thick, it didn't need anything in the middle and it still turned out really moist.


This cake took forever to decorate (your hand gets tired from all the 'stars')...but I thought it looked pretty cool when it was done!


And a side note on my 'food crafts': I decided to try my hand at making candies. My first attempt was for Valentine's Day for Rand. I was surprised at how simple it was...yet still time consuming to make. But they turned out pretty good (who doesn't like chocolate?!)

Not sure why this picture turned sideways when I imported it, but oh well.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

so yummy! I am quite impressed missy! My birthday is in August and I would like an exact replica of john travolta in Grease! Thanks baby cakes~

Unknown said...

a cake that is! haha

Jana Brookes said...

Very pretty cakes Chelsy! What a girl you are!

Unknown said...

Those cakes are amazing!! It get's quicker. Did you use the 2010 tip on the soccer ball? That cuts down the time. I really, really like that flower cake the colors work well together. Those chocolates are good too, especially for your first time. I love doing this kind of stuff and looking at what other people have done. Good work!

Chelsy said...

Annie...I got so mad at myself when I saw your post. I have the 2010 tip! Did I remember that when I was making this cake...OF COURSE NOT! Ugh...oh well, live and learn. Next time! And stay tuned, I have another came coming this weekend for a family event. I'm excited for it! :o)