Wednesday, January 28, 2009

My new hobby...

So I had been wanting to take cake decorating classes for a while. I thought it seemed like fun and something that if I practiced enough, I could possibly teach or make in the future for some extra cash. They teach classes at the craft store on BYU's campus...so I signed up for Course 1.
The first day was just an introduction. Then we had to go home, come up with an idea for frosting our cake the next week, bake and do the base frosting layer and come to class ready to practice and then finish our first cake.

Since I'm not much of a cake eater myself, I decided to make the first one for Rand.
He is a die-hard New York Mets fan.
This was my mediocre attempt at creating the logo.


After rushing in class to get this one done, I realized a few things I would do differently to make this cake better looking (like thicker orange frosting that would make for better 'stars' to fill in the logo with!) Maybe I'll do this one again sometime just so I can see the difference.


I torted (cut in half) the cake and added a fresh raspberry filling.
The cake is chocolate with a buttercream frosting.



The next week we were learning how to create flowers. I think I pulled off a few 'picture perfect' flowers, and the rest atleast still resemble a flower. I also learned that in the future I need to have a little better idea of how I'm going to create the vines.

This one is a french vanilla cake, torted with chocolate pudding in the middle,
and chocolate buttercream frosting.



I had leftover frosting from this last class and needed to use it so I could reuse my icing bags for this week. I decided to make some cupcakes for the fun of it.


My new favorite frosting tip is the 'grass' one (as you can see). It's a quick, fun 'filler'.

With all the sports and trashtalking I do,
occasionally I pull something like this out to prove I am still a girl! :o)

The girl who teaches the class is due next month with twins, so course two won't be until April. I think I'm going to get the books and teach myself...I don't want to wait that long.

Oh, and Rand loves me doing this class as well.
He gets lots of cake every week!

12 comments:

Rachel said...

Chelsy, those cakes/cupcakes look great! You are really talented.

HeatherM said...

good job! the cup cakes are very springing, I like it!

Lindsay said...

Oh My gosh!!! WHo are you??? Is there ANYTHING that you don't do perfectly! Those not only look amazing, they look very tasty. I could go for one right now.

Unknown said...

HOW FUN!!!! I wanted to take a cake decorating class ever since I saw Ace of Cakes on the Food Network...I didn't know they offered classes at BYU!?! Good to know! I love the Flower cupcakes! So cute!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

YEa!! I love teaching those classes and your cakes are AMAZING!! Poor Rand will only get 2 cakes in course 2 if you are doing Wilton. You already look pro Chelsy. Your cakes are awesome, keep up the good work.

Jana Brookes said...

That's awesome! I wish I had time to do something like that. A few friends in my ward do that, and they are so amazing. I'm sure you'll have it down in now time. Yours already look great!
I is fun to see you doing something girlie!

gordon, cindy and carter said...

Those look Great! I Love cake decorating but my boys aren't into sweets so I don't really get a chance to do it often because I wind up eating it all. It's awesome that you picked up the techniques after only a few classes :)

Andrew and MeKenzie said...

Chelsy, I totally want to be a cake decorator one day, it is a secret passion of mine! You are already so good, I'm very impressed!

SHELLY said...

Wow....you have turned into Betty Crocker overnight. What the heck is going on out there?
I'm going to have to come up there and slap some sense into you. You are freaking me out! I'd pay you for any of them right now...

Tracy and Odie said...

I'll take one cake and three cupcakes, please. You can promptly send them to my home address. Or work. Either way, do send.

They look awesome Chels!

cameron said...

love it!!!