
Me finishing up on the bike:

Our friends ran the race as well, Pen (Zac) and his brother Austin.
Nothing more flattering that triathlon attire!
Happy to have the race done!
While we were in St. George we stayed with Rand's Aunt Judy and Uncle Kevin. They are so fun to stay with and I love just chilling at their house and talking with them. I think they may start to question my sanity because this is the second time we've stayed with them for this race. Last year I competed in the triathlon and Rand came to cheer me on. I had this crazy tore up leg from softball and had a pretty crazy experience with it during the tri (due to some "liquid bandaid" I had put on to keep out lake water infection, combined with intense heat). It didn't end pretty, but luckily I had little scarring.
Well, this year I had been having pretty bad tooth pain the week before the race. I decided that I had better go to the dentist since we'd be gone for 5 days. I needed a root canal and he wanted to start it right then. I talked him into waiting until I got back and just having me take pain killers. He agreed as long as I called him if it got any worse so he could order me an antibiotic. I was having trouble even chewing my food without tons of pain when my teeth would accidentally hit. So, I popped 4 ibuprofin before the race and it worked wonderfully. I felt it a little during the run, and alot immediately following the race ...but then I was fine the rest of the trip. In fact, I could eat things just fine and didn't have to take any other medication until we got back to Utah. Whether that was just Heavenly Father having mercy on me (and my stupidity), or perhaps the effects of a drop in alititude, I'm not sure. But I'm definitely glad it didn't give me any issues!
We again failed to get pictures at Judy and Kevins! We need to next time. Thanks for letting us stay with you (again!) Kels...thanks for letting us stay in your room, we kept a good eye on Zac Efron's picture for you! :o) And thank you for the amazing salsa recipe. We made some (the mild version, of course) and it was delish!
After the triathlon and some visiting, we headed down to Vegas. There we stayed with Rand's Aunt Susan and Uncle Syd. It was so fun to see Jared again and make fun of each other like old times at VP! All we were missing was a trip to Costco!
We went to dinner that night at this great mexican restaurant (attached to a gas station...which just made it even better). Then we went bowling with Jared and some of his friends. It was a blast. Jared and Rand used to be in a bowling league together when they lived together in Provo, so competition is always high at the bowling alley!
This was the usual look on Jared's face that night:

We finally got a good one from Jared!
Jared, Rand, Chelsy and Alexis (one of the funniest girls we've met)
So Rand forgot his suit for church in St. George, and Jared leant him one of his. Yes, Jared is taller than Rand. :o) It was strange to see Rand in a black suit (he's an earthtone kind of guy). We thought it even funnier when Jared informed him that it was his Armani suit that he was given while on his mission. Rand thought it felt a little nicer! So we thought it only appropriate to get the GQ pose while in the suit.
Thank you for letting us stay with you and keeping us thoroughly entertained!!!
Next we were off to SoCal. We drove all night and got in incredibly late to Jon and Lori's. Thank you again for waiting up for us! Upon arrival we were promptly given the WONDERFUL news that Jon and Lo are expecting their first baby! She will be the best mom (and one of the most beautiful ones too!)
We had time before the game on Monday, so we decided to hit Newport beach. It was such a nice day and hardly anyone out. While laying on our towels and looking out at the beach, to make the trip 'perfect', we saw a group of dolphins come swimming by. They were swimming through the breaking waves and jumping out. It was really cool to see!

We decided that we had to have lunch at somewhere other than a fast food restaurant. It took a while to find parking, but we were determined to eat at this little place called the Crab Cooker. It was so good! They let Rand try the clam chowder for free (he loved), and then we chowed down on our meals. I'm not the biggest seafood fan, but I'm slowly being converted! I had the halibut and it was scrumptious.


After a fun day at the beach, we were off to the game. We were very kindly given some great seats to this game. One of the elders that Rand taught in the MTC gave him these FRONT ROW, AISLE, behind the home-team dugout, seats. His family are season ticket holders and offered him the seats as a 'thank-you' for being his teacher. They offered him the tickets for the Mets game since Rand is a die-hard Mets fan. This elder's parents were first going to go with us, but then had a change of plans and were going to be out of town that day. We did meet up with them on Sunday and have dinner, and they were so fun to meet and talk to. We were really grateful for the hospitality and generosity!
Here was our view of the game! It was so awesome! We could talk to the players in the dugout. We were right on the isle too, and everytime the inning ended the little kids came piling down, leaning over the dugout in hopes of getting the ball tossed to them.


I just like this shot
(the MLB logo on the dugout, the players out of the field...you gotta love this game!)
Since we had two extra tickets, we invited my brother Brian and his wife Emily to join us.
Thanks for coming with us!
At the end of the night the Mets were victorious! The only thing better would to have been able to walk out on the field (major league fields are SO beautiful...a work of art!)
Again, we had such a good time on our trip! We try not to think about the money spent on gas...and then everything about the trip was perfect! Thank you again to everyone who let us stay with you! We wish we had had more time to stay and visit...it was such a short trip in every place! I'm sure we'll be able to make some time in our schedules to do it all again!










No comments:
Post a Comment