In August I took the fondant/tiered cake decorating class.
I have mixed feelings about fondant. Over-all, I really like it.
Especially having a much better tasting recipe that I can make myself
rather than buying the gross store-bought stuff. And it is pretty forgiving in my opinion. However, it does take a little more time than normal for me
(especially if you need pieces to stiffen),
and time is what I never feel like I have enough of.
Anyway...we made two cakes in the class. Here is what I was able to finish while in class for the first cake (sorry, the picture loaded sideways!):

But being the perfectionist I am, I had to go home and do more to it and experiment
with some of the pearl dust that gives it that shine.
I was pretty happy with it in the end.
I'd probably do the bows on top a little different next time, but it worked.

And over-all it tasted pretty good.
Definitely sugary.

Our second cake was supposed to be a tiered cake.
Again, I have this OCD-ness about me that has to create some grand idea.
Let's just say that I left class the last day with nothing but two iced cakes!
Two days later after working on it at home after work,
and I finally had a finished product!

It wasn't exactly the idea I first had in mind. I had to alter my ideas as I went along.
And if I had to do it again, I would have done the bow very differently.
Apparently you need to give the fondant much more time to harden
or else it will quickly collapse and lose it's shape!
But after working on it for multiple days, I was just happy to have it done!

There is still one more class I'd like to take that is all on fondant and gum paste,
but it's not offered anytime soon and I need a break anyway!
8 comments:
Fondant definitely makes classier looking cakes (as demonstrated by your gorgeous photos) but I'll admit to never having been impressed with the taste. I'd love to try some of your recipe, then!
OK, those cakes look amazing! I forgot about your cake decorating skills! The problem is ... they look to good to eat!
Wow Chels! That is all I have to say! Okay but really...aren't you supposed to be a tomboy??? Is there ANYTHING you dont do? Just curious. You are amazing my friend...amazing!
You are amazing!!! were do you take you classes at?
Those cakes are amazing! I have a hard enough time just frosting a regular cake, I can't even imagine putting in all the work to do fondant!
You are AMAZING!
I WANT TO LEARN!!! WHERE DO YOU TAKE THE CLASSES? YOU ARE GENIOUS GIRL - GENIOUS I SAY... THOUGH MY OCD-PERFECTIONIST side (when i do craft projects) would be a hinder to me too
Hey! Awesome! I took some cake classes too (Wilton?) and that's how I got started in my little business. (You're next!) :) Ya, every time I do a cake I learn something new that I should or shouldn't do. Oh, and if you want a good tasting (well, not gross anyway) fondant that you don't have to make yourself, Satin Ice is a good brand. I've just started using it and really like it. The cheapest place I've found it is at: http://www.fondantsource.com/ and if you google for a coupon, you could probably find one for a discount as well. Anyway, good luck with those cakes!! They're addicting. Oh... one other comment (sorry about the novel), if you haven't tried a White Almond Sour Cream cake yet, you have GOT to. It's the best recipe I've ever used. Let me know if you want it.
Post a Comment